Italian Easter Cookies
Soft almond cookies decorated with festive pastel icing and sprinkles.
Servings: 30 cookies
- 3 c. all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 3/4 c. granulated sugar
- 1/2 c. unsalted butter softened
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 tsp. almond extract
- 3 lg. eggs room temperature
- 1 c. confectioners’ sugar
- 3 T. milk or cream
- 1 tsp. almond extract vanilla extract or lemon juice can be substituted
- food coloring for tinting the icing
- sprinkles for decorating
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line two rimmed large baking sheets with parchment paper; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, and baking powder.
- In a large bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer, combine the softened butter, granulated sugar, and both the vanilla and almond extracts and beat on medium-high speed until the mixture is light and fluffy.
- Add one egg at a time, mixing on medium-low speed until the egg is incorporated until adding the next egg.
- Slowly add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients, mixing just until combined. Be careful to not over mix.
- Use a medium cookie scoop (about 1 ½ tablespoons of cookie dough) and use your hands to shape them into balls. Place the balls about an inch apart on the prepared baking sheets.
- Bake for 12 to 15 or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean. Let the cookies rest on the baking sheets for about 5 minutes before transferring them to a cooling rack. Let cookies cool completely before icing.
- ICING: Whisk together the confectioners’ sugar, milk, and almond extract in a small bowl until smooth and no lumps remain.
- Divide the icing equally into 3 small bowls and tint with food coloring.
- Carefully dip the cooled cookies in the icing and decorate with sprinkles. Allow them to set up on a plate before serving. (Consider double dipping the cookies for a deeper glaze color.)
- Once the cookies are set up, store them in an airtight container at room temperature or in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days.
- Alternatively, you can freeze the cookies without icing and sprinkles for 1 month. Defrost the cookies on the day you plan to serve them, dip in icing, and top with sprinkles.