Recipe from Veralene Hillis - This delicious salad was served at the Country Gentleman Restaurant in Everett Washington many, many, years ago. My mother in-law says, "The dressing is simply the BEST!!"
- 2 lg. bunches spinach well washed and torn into bite size pieces
- 8 slices bacon cooked and cut up into small pieces
- 2 c. fresh bean sprouts well washed
- 1 (4 1/2 oz.) can water chestnuts thinly sliced
- DRESSING :
- 3/4 c. salad oil
- 1/4 c. sugar
- 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 T. onion grated
- 1/4 c. white vinegar
- 1/3 c. ketchup
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large bowl, gently toss together spinach, bacon bean sprouts and water chestnuts.
- In a small bowl, whisk together dressing and pour over salad, toss lightly. Serve at once
UPDATE: This recipe is over 35 years old. It is very hard to find bean sprouts due to the bacteria outbreak of salmonella, listeria and E. coli. I have omitted the bean sprouts and added 3 chopped hard boiled eggs and 2 sliced green onions to the recipe as pictured above. Do not skip the dressing, it's absolutely delicious!