Pasta noodles, filled with meat, cheese and veggies, topped with pasta sauce, mozzarella cheese and fresh basil. Individual portions, perfect for serving family and friends!
- 8 lasagna noodles
- 1 lb. lean ground beef, turkey or sausage
- 1 T. olive oil
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/2 med. onion chopped
- 4 c. prepared spaghetti sauce divided
- 1/2 tsp. Italian seasoning
- 1 (12 oz.) cont. Darigold Trim 2 % cottage cheese
- 2 c. shredded mozzarella cheese divided
- Fresh chopped basil for garnish, if desired
- Cook lasagna noodles 8 to 10 minutes or according to package directions, until al dente. Drain; rinse under cold water to stop the cooking. Arrange cooked noodles on sheets of waxed or parchment paper. Pat dry, if needed.
- Meanwhile in a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add garlic and onions and sauté for 2-3 minutes. Add ground meat and brown. Drain off excess fat. Add 1 cup spaghetti sauce and Italian seasoning, stir to combine; reduce heat to medium low. Simmer for about 5-10 minutes.
- Spread 2 cups of spaghetti sauce in bottom of a 13 x 9-inch baking dish or pan.
- In a large bowl, combine cottage cheese and 1 cup mozzarella cheese together. Evenly spread the cheese mixture and meat sauce down the center of each lasagna noodle. Roll up, jelly-roll style; place seam-side down in dish. Spoon remaining 1 cup spaghetti sauce over rolls and sprinkle with remaining 1 cup mozzarella cheese.
- Loosely cover dish with foil and bake in a preheated 375 degree oven for 35-40 minutes or until hot and bubbly and the cheese is melted. Garnish with basil, if desired. Serve with a green salad and crusty French bread.
- Cook's Note: I like to cook a few extra lasagna noodles in case they tear. Sautéed mushrooms, green pepper or celery would be a great addition to the meat filling. If you like heat, add a pinch of red pepper flakes.