Lemon Meringue Pie
Homemade sweet and tangy lemon custard pie topped with fluffy meringue peaks!
- 1 (9 inch) pie crust un-baked
- FILLING :
- 1 1/2 c. granulated sugar
- 1/3 c. plus 1 T. cornstarch
- 1/2 c. water
- 3 egg yolks lightly beaten
- 3 T. butter
- 1/2 c. lemon juice freshly squeezed
- 2 tsp. lemon zest
- 2 drops yellow food coloring
- MERINGUE :
- 3 egg whites
- 1/2 tsp. cream of tarter
- 6 T. granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- Bake pie crust at 400 degrees for 10 minutes.
- Filling: Mix 1 ½ cup sugar, cornstarch and water in a saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and boils. Remove from heat, whisk in egg yolks one at a time, stirring constantly. Add lemon juice, lemon zest and 2 drops of food coloring. Pour filling into pie crust.
- Meringue: In a mixing bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tarter until foamy. Beat in 6 tablespoons of sugar, one tablespoon at a time, continue beating until stiff and glossy. Beat in vanilla. Spread meringue over hot pie filling, carefully sealing to edge of pie crust.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until it starts to brown a little. Cool completely, then refrigerate until ready to serve.