An Italian lemon infused cake with creamy mascarpone cheese and lemon curd frosting, topped with white chocolate shavings!
- 2 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 c. butter softened
- 1 1/2 c. granulated sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 c. buttermilk
- 1/2 c. limoncello (lemon-flavored liqueur)
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- White chocolate shavings for garnish, optional
- FROSTING :
- 16 oz. Mascarpone cheese
- 1 1/4 c. homemade lemon curd
- 2 c. chilled heavy whipping cream
- 2/3 c. confectioner's sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease two 9-inch round cake pans. Line pans with parchment paper; grease and flour parchment.
- CAKE: In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
- In a large bowl, using an electric hand mixer, cream together butter and sugar. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Combine buttermilk, limoncello, lemon zest and lemon juice. Add alternately with flour, beating well after each addition.
- Pour batter into prepared cake pans. Bake cakes for 20 to 25 minutes. Cool completely in pans. Once cool, remove cakes from pans.
- Place one layer on serving plate. Frost top with 1/3 frosting. Place second layer on top. Frost with one half of frosting. Use remaining frosting to frost sides of cake. Decorate top with white chocolate shavings if desired.
- FROSTING: In a large bowl, cream together mascarpone cheese and lemon curd; set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whip cream, slowly adding confectioners’ sugar until light and fluffy. Gently fold in mascarpone cheese/lemon curd mixture into whipped cream until completely combined. Frost as directed above.
- Keep cake refrigerated.