Loaded French Dips
"Serve with our Spicy Sweet Potato Fries!!"
- 4 French rolls or 1-2 baguettes
- 3/4 lb. deli roast beef sliced thinly
- 4 slices Swiss, cheddar or provolone cheese
- sour cream
- 3 green onions thinly sliced
- 3 c. Au jus mix prepared or homemade recipe below
- HOMEMADE AU JUS :
- 2 c. pan drippings
- 1/2 to 1 c. beef stock
- 2 T. red wine
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to broil. Slice French bread in half lengthwise, but not all the way through, spread butter on both sides, broil until golden brown. Place a slice of cheese on one half of bread, broil additional 1 to 2 minutes.
- Bring au jus to a boil in a saucepan over medium-high heat, reduce to a simmer.
- To heat meat, dip beef in au jus (about 1 minute) and place on bread over cheese. Spread sour cream over the other side of French bread. Sprinkle with green onions, close and slice sandwich diagonally. Serve with a side of au jus for dipping, a dill pickle spear, potato salad, potato chips or fries.
- HOMEMADE AU JUS: In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, bring pan drippings, beef stock and red wine to a boil, season with salt and pepper, reduce heat and simmer. Makes about 3 cups
- Cook's Note: Great with leftover roast beef.