Mama’s Cinnamon Rolls
These incredibly light and fluffy cinnamon rolls dripping with icing always disappear quickly!
Servings: 12 large rolls
- CINNAMON ROLLS:
- 1 1/2 c. milk
- 6 T. unsalted butter
- 1/3 c. granulated sugar
- 5 1/4 c. all-purpose flour spooned and leveled
- 1 1/2 T. active dry yeast
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 1 lg. egg beaten
- 1 lg. egg yolk beaten
- CINNAMON SUGAR:
- 1 1/2 c. light brown sugar
- 1 T. ground cinnamon
- 3/4 c. unsalted butter softened
- 1 1/2 c. confectioners’ sugar
- 2-4 T. milk
- Butter and line a 10×14-inch baking dish with parchment paper; set aside.
- CINNAMON ROLLS: In a saucepan over low heat, warm milk, 6 tablespoons butter, and granulated sugar until the butter has melted and the sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat and allow to cool a bit.
- Once the milk mixture has cooled, pour milk mixture into the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook. Add 2 cups of flour, yeast, salt, beaten egg, and egg yolk. Turn the mixer on low speed, once combined, slowly add the remaining flour, beating well after each addition and scraping down the sides as needed. Continue to knead on medium speed for 5 minutes.
- Remove the dough ball and butter the bowl. Place the dough back into the bowl and cover with a dishtowel. Let rise until the dough has doubled in size, about 1-2 hours.
- CINNAMON SUGAR: In a small bowl, combine brown sugar, cinnamon; set aside.
- Generously dust a clean flat surface with flour. Punch down the dough. Turn the dough out onto the floured surface. Roll into a 13 x 18-inch rectangle. Spread 3/4 cup softened butter over dough. Sprinkle the cinnamon sugar evenly over the butter. Tightly roll up the dough to form an 18-inch log. Cut the log into 12 slices (1 ½-inches each) and arrange them in the prepared baking dish. Cover with a tea towel and allow to rise for an additional 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bake the cinnamon rolls for 25-30 minutes. Allow rolls to cool in the pan over a wire rack for 5-10 minutes.
- While the rolls are cooling, make the icing. In a medium bowl, whisk together confectioners’ sugar and milk. Spread or drizzle icing over the warm rolls and devour!