Mexican Hot Chocolate Cookies
Bite into a crispy, chewy, spicy but mild, chocolate cookie reminiscent of the classic Mexican hot chocolate drink. This delicious chocolate cookie with a hint of cinnamon and spicy chipotle chile, will leave you wanting MORE!!
Servings: 3 dozen cookies
- 2 1/4 c. all-purpose flour
- 1/2 c. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tsp. cream of tartar
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. Coarse salt
- 2 tsp. ground cinnamon divided
- 1/2 tsp. ground chipotle chile (with an
- 1 c. unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 3/4 c. sugar divided
- 2 lg. eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, cream of tartar, baking soda, salt, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, and 1/4 teaspoon ground chipotle chile.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat butter and 1 1/2 cups sugar on medium speed until pale and fluff, about 3 to 4 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed. Add vanilla and beat to combine. Reduce speed to low and add flour mixture, beat to combine.
- In a small bowl, combine remaining 1/4 cup sugar, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, and 1/4 teaspoon ground chipotle. Form heaping tablespoons of dough into balls and roll in cinnamon sugar mixture. Place on prepared baking sheets, spacing 3 inches apart. Bake, rotating sheets halfway through, until cookies are set in center and begin to crack, about 10 minutes. Let cookies cool on sheets for 5 minutes before transferring cookies to wire racks to cool completely.