Orzo pasta, fresh basil, arugula, dried cherries, toasted pine nuts and feta cheese, tossed with a lemony vinaigrette. Perfect for a picnic!!
- 1 lb. orzo pasta
- 3 T. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 c. fresh arugula torn into bite size pieces
- 12 fresh basil leaves torn into bite size pieces
- 1/2 c. dried cherries
- 1/4 to 1/2 c. toasted pine nuts I lkie more, but they are expensive
- 1/4 c. extra virgin olive oil
- 3 T. lemon juice
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 c. feta cheese crumbled
- Cook pasta according to package directions and drain. Spread pasta on a large cookie sheet. Drizzle pasta with 3 tablespoons olive oil, toss and spread out, set aside to cool.
- When the orzo is cool, transfer to a large serving bowl, add torn arugula and basil, dried cherries and toasted pine nuts.
- In a small bowl whisk together 1/4 cup olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper, pour over pasta and toss together. Add crumbled feta and gently toss again to combine. Chill until ready to serve. Best if eaten the same day prepared.
- Cook's Note: If you find the salad is a little dry the next day, just make more dressing, toss to coat.