Chicken, onions and peppers, infused with sweet Hungarian paprika, served over a bed of egg noodles.
- 3 lbs. boneless skinless chicken breasts & thighs cut in 2-in. pieces
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 2 T. vegetable oil
- 1 lg. onion thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper seeds and stems removed and thinly sliced
- 1 yellow bell pepper seeds and stems removed and thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 3 T. all-purpose flour
- 2 T. Hungarian paprika sweet or hot
- 1 (15 oz.) can crushed tomatoes with juice
- 1 1/2 c. chicken stock
- 1/2 c. sour cream
- 1 lb. wide egg noodles
- In a large skillet, heat vegetable oil over medium-high heat. Add the chicken pieces, season with salt and pepper. Cook chicken, turning occasionally, until golden brown, about 6-8 minutes. Transfer chicken to a plate and cover to keep warm.
- Reduce heat to medium , add the onions, peppers and garlic to the pan, cook until softened. Add the flour and paprika, stirring constantly for 2 minutes.
- Stir in crushed tomatoes with juice, chicken stock and wine; season with salt and pepper to taste. Turn the heat up, and bring to a boil, continue stirring.
- Return chicken to the pan, reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until chicken is cooked through, about 20 minutes.
- While chicken is cooking, cook noodles in a large pot of salted water until al dente. Drain noodles.
- Stir sour cream into sauce with chicken, and cook for an additional 5 minutes. Pour chicken and sauce over cooked noodles and serve immediately.