Pasta with Sun Dried Tomato Pesto
This delicious Italian dish can be served hot, cold, or at room temperature, making it ideal for picnics and potlucks. Enjoy with a nice bottle of Pinot Grigio!
- 1 (16 oz.) pkg. fusilli pasta
- 1 (8.5 oz.) jar sun dried tomatoes packed in olive oil
- 1 c. fresh basil leaves packed
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 1/2 c. freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, blend the sun-dried tomatoes with olive oil, basil, and garlic in a food processor; pulse into a pesto-like consistency (If it’s too thick, add a little pasta water). Do not finely puree, you want a bit of texture in this dish. Transfer the pesto to a large bowl; stir in Parmesan cheese.
- Drain the pasta water, reserving 1 cup of the cooking liquid. Add pasta back to the pot and stir in tomato pesto; toss to coat, season with salt and pepper to taste. Add some of the reserved pasta water, if needed.
- Serve immediately with additional fresh basil and Parmesan cheese, if desired. Store any leftover pasta in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.