Peach Upside Down Cake
Serve warm topped with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream!
- 1/4 c. butter
- 1/2 c. brown sugar packed
- 4-5 peaches or nectarines, peeled, pitted & sliced
- 1 1/4 c. all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 c. butter softened
- 3/4 c. granulated sugar
- 1 lg. egg
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 c. milk 1/4 c. evaporated milk + 1/4 c. water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place 1/4 cup butter in an 8x8x2-inch square or 9-inch round baking pan. Melt in the oven about 5 minutes or until butter is melted. (Watch carefully to avoid browning the butter)
- Remove pan from oven. Add brown sugar, stirring until sugar is completely moistened. Spread sugar mixture evenly in pan. Arrange peach slices evenly over brown sugar mixture. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt; set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat 1/2 cup butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Beat in granulated sugar until well combined. Add egg and vanilla, beating until combined.
- Alternately add the flour mixture and milk to beaten butter mixture, beating on low speed after each addition just until combined. Spread batter evenly over the peaches in the pan.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool in pan on wire rack for 5 minutes.
- Loosen cake from sides of pan; invert onto a large serving plate. Cool for 10 to 15 minutes more. Serve warm topped with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.