Penne Alla Vodka
Penne noodles smothered in a rich, creamy, tomato vodka sauce!
- 3/4 c. half and half or light cream
- 1 tsp. cornstarch
- 2 T. olive oil
- 1 sm. onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 (28 oz.) can diced tomatoes
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 c. Vodka
- 1 lb. penne pasta
- 1/2 c. freshly grated Parmesan cheese plus additional for garnish
- Bring a large covered pot of water to a boil, over medium-high heat, to cook pasta in.
- In a small bowl, combine half-and-half and cornstarch, set aside.
- In 12-inch skillet, heat olive oil on medium until hot. Add onion and cook 6 to 8 minutes or until lightly browned and tender, stirring frequently.
- Add garlic and red pepper flakes and cook 1 to 2 minutes longer, stirring.
- Add tomatoes with their juice and freshly ground black pepper, heat to simmering; cook 4 to 5 minutes or until some liquid evaporates.
- Add vodka and continue to simmer 7 to 8 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and return to pot.
- To half-and-half mixture in bowl, add 1/4 cup tomato mixture and stir to combine; pour into skillet. Bring sauce to a boil over medium-high heat. Cook 2 minutes longer, stirring occasionally.
- Remove vodka sauce from heat; stir in Parmesan. Add vodka sauce to pasta in pot; stir to combine.
- Spoon pasta into shallow bowls; sprinkle with additional Parmesan.