Recipe by Dee Hutchins-Reynozo - My mama didn't have a green thumb, but there were two things she could grow, BEETS & ZUCCHINI!! Here's her recipe for sweet pickled beets, Enjoy!
Servings: 3 pints
- 3-5 lbs. small beets
- PICKLING LIQUID :
- 1 c. white vinegar
- 3/4 c. water
- 3/4-1 c. granulated sugar
- Cheese cloth
- 1 tsp. whole allspice
- 6 whole cloves
- 1 (3-inch) cinnamon stick
- Wash beets leaving a 1 inch stem and root intact to prevent bleeding.
- In a large pot, cover beets with water and boil 25 minutes.
- In a large saucepan combine vinegar, water and sugar. In a cheese cloth, tie together allspice, cloves and 1 cinnamon stick and drop into liquid.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove cheese cloth and discard.
- Skin and slice beets. Pack into sterilized jars. Cover with pickling liquid leaving ½ inch headspace.
- Place on lids, seal and process for 30 minutes.