These were so much fun to eat when I was a kid, the meatballs resemble porcupine quills.
- 1/2 c. long grain white rice uncooked
- 1/4 c. water
- 1 egg
- 1/3 c. onion chopped
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. celery salt
- 1/8 tsp. pepper
- 1/8 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 2 T. Canola oil
- 1 (15 oz.) can Hunts tomato sauce
- 1 c. water
- 2 T. brown sugar
- 2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- In a large bowl, combine rice, 1/4 cup water , egg, onion, salt, celery salt, pepper and garlic powder. Add ground beef and mix well. Shape mixture into 1-1/2-in. balls.
- In a large skillet, over medium heat, brown meatballs in canola oil, drain off excess grease.
- Combine tomato sauce, 1 cup water, brown sugar and Worcestershire sauce; pour over meatballs. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 50-60 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Cook's Note: Can be served over rice, potatoes or noodles, as an appetizer or meatball sub.