Serve warm right from the oven!!
Servings: 3 dozen
- 1 pkg. active dry yeast
- 1/2 c. lukewarm water 110 degrees
- 1 c. scalded milk
- 1/3 c. butter
- 1/3 c shortening
- 1/2 c. granulated sugar
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 c. mashed potatoes
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- 6-7 c. all-purpose flour
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in lukewarm water.
- In a saucepan, heat milk over medium heat until scalded. Remove from heat, add butter, shortening, sugar, salt and mashed potatoes to scalded milk.
- When cool, add milk mixture and eggs to the yeast, whisking thoroughly. Stir in enough flour to make a stiff dough. Pour dough into a buttered bowl, cover and place in the refrigerator for several hours or overnight.
- When ready to make rolls, punch down the dough and form into rolls. Place rolls in two lightly greased 9 x 13-inch baking dishes. Cover and let rolls rise about 2 ½ hours. Bake at 400 degrees for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cook's Note: This dough makes wonderful cinnamon rolls too.