Pumpkin Pasta Bake
Creamy, savory, pumpkin pasta topped with buttered bread crumbs and parmesan cheese.
- 1 lb. penne pasta
- 3 T. unsalted butter divided
- 1 c. onion finely chopped
- 1 c. 100% pure pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 3/4 c. unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 c. shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 c. shredded Parmesan cheese divided
- 1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp. ground thyme
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1/4 c. panko bread crumbs
- Fresh Parsley chopped for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 13x9-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Cook penne pasta al dente, according to package instructions. Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, melt 2 tablespoons butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until tender, about 3-5 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low and add the pumpkin puree, almond milk, cheddar cheese, 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, nutmeg, thyme, salt, and pepper to the skillet. Stir to combine ingredients until cheese is melted and the sauce is smooth.
- Add the drained penne and stir to evenly coat noodles in the sauce. Pour into prepared dish. Melt remaining 1 tablespoon butter in a small bowl and add panko breadcrumbs. Stir to combine and sprinkle evenly over top of the penne.
- Bake uncovered for 20-25 minutes until heated through. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan and chopped parsley before serving.
- Cook's Note: Cooked and crumbled sausage would be a wonderful addition to this casserole.