Quiche Au Gruyère
Recipe by my cousin Rhonda Linburg - This classic quiche is made with four cheeses, bacon, spinach, onions and mushrooms. Makes a wonderful brunch for any occasion!!
Servings: 2 quiches
- 1 lb. bacon
- 1 (10 oz.) pkg. frozen spinach thawed
- 1 lg. sweet yellow onion finely diced
- 1/2 lb. fresh mushrooms thinly sliced
- 1 (8 oz.) container sour cream
- 2 (9-inch) pie crusts un-baked
- 8 oz. Monterey Jack cheese shredded
- 4 oz. Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese shredded
- 4 oz. gruyere cheese shredded
- 4 oz. Fontina cheese shredded
- 8 eggs
- 1 1/2 c. half and half
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Cook bacon in a large skillet until brown. Drain bacon, reserving 2 tablespoons bacon grease. Crumble bacon and set aside.
- Cook spinach per package instructions. Cool and squeeze through cheese cloth to remove as much liquid as possible. Set aside.
- In the skillet (with reserved bacon grease) caramelize onions, stir in mushrooms and cook for another 2 minutes or until soft. Stir in crumbled bacon and remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, combine spinach and sour cream. Salt and pepper to taste. Divide mixture in half and spread onto bottom of two pie crusts. Layer each with bacon mixture.
- Mix together all cheeses and sprinkle evenly on both pies.
- Mix together eggs and half & half and salt and pepper to taste. Pour evenly over pies and bake on middle shelf for 40 minutes until the top is puffed and golden brown.