Rhubarb Coffee Cake
Recipe by Shelli Burton-Olin
- 1 1/2 c. brown sugar packed
- 1/2 c. butter softened
- 1 lg. egg
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 c. all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 c. buttermilk
- 2 c. rhubarb cut into small pieces
- TOPPING :
- 1/2 c. granulated sugar
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 c. chopped walnuts or pecans optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- CAKE: In a large bowl, cream together butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg and vanilla, beat until well-blended.
- In a separate bowl sift together the flour, soda and salt.
- Add flour mixture and buttermilk alternately to the creamed mixture, beat after each addition, just enough to blend. Gently fold the chopped rhubarb into the batter, spoon into a greased and floured 9x13 inch pan, spreading evenly.
- TOPPING: In a small bowl blend together the granulated sugar, cinnamon and nuts. Sprinkle evenly over the top of the rhubarb cake.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool the cake in the pan, then cut into squares and serve.
- Cook's Note: Serve with a dollop of sweetened whipped cream or whipped topping.