Salmon Niçoise Salad
A glorious summer salad made with grilled salmon, fingerling potatoes, green beans, hard boiled eggs, cherry tomatoes and niçoise olives, dressed with red wine vinaigrette, olives and capers.
- 1/4 c red wine vinegar
- 1/4 c. plus 1 T. olive oil divided
- 1 1/2 T. Dijon or stone ground mustard
- 1/4 c. minced pitted niçoise or kalamata olives
- 2 T. minced shallots or yellow onion
- 1 T. capers
- 1 T. chopped fresh tarragon or thyme
- 1 pinch granulated sugar optional
- Salt and black pepper
- GRILLED SALMON:
- 1 1/4 lb. center-cut salmon fillet skin on, about 1" thick
- olive oil for drizzling
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 1/2 lbs. fingerling potatoes halved lengthwise
- 1 lb. fresh green beans trimmed
- 16 grape or cherry tomatoes cut in half
- 1 c. pitted niçoise or kalamata olives
- 1 head butter lettuce leaves separated
- 4 lg. hard-boiled eggs peeled and quartered
- VINAIGRETTE: In a pint jar fitted with a lid, combine red wine vinegar, 1/4 cup olive oil, and mustard. Add the finely chopped olives, shallots, capers, tarragon, sugar if using, and 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper; shake to combine.
- Place potatoes in a large microwave-safe bowl. Poke a small hole in each potato. Cover and microwave until just tender, about 6-8 minutes; set aside until cool enough to handle then cut in half lengthwise.
- In a separate large bowl, toss the potatoes and green beans with remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil and 1⁄4 teaspoon each salt and pepper.
- GRILLED SALMON: Preheat grill to medium-high.
- Pat salmon dry with a paper towel. Drizzle fillet with olive oil and then sprinkle with salt and black pepper. Grill skin side down, covered, until opaque throughout about 10 to12 minutes; transfer to a cutting board.
- While the salmon is grilling, add the potatoes and green beans to a grill basket and cook, covered, until tender and begin to char about 4 to 5 minutes per side, then add to the bowl with the dressing and toss.
- TO ASSEMBLE: Using a fork, flake the salmon into big chunks, discarding the skin. Display salad on a platter for self serving or divide the lettuce, eggs, potatoes, green beans, and salmon among the plates, spooning over any remaining dressing.