Scallop & Bacon Chowder
Here's a quick and easy meal or starter. Sweet scallops, fresh corn, smoky bacon, and potatoes in a delicious creamy broth. Serve with your favorite sandwich or homemade bread for dipping, Enjoy!
- 1 c. (packed) fresh Italian parsley
- 3/4 c. olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 8 oz. bacon coarsely chopped
- 2 lg. leeks (white and pale green parts only), thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 T. chopped fresh thyme
- 1 1/2 c. fresh or frozen corn kernels
- 1 1/2 lbs. russet potatoes peeled, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3 (8 oz.) bottles clam juice
- 1 c. heavy cream
- 1 lb. bay scallops connective tissue removed
- Blend parsley, oil, and salt in blender until smooth. Pour into small bowl.
- Cook bacon in a heavy bottom large pot over medium-high heat until crisp and brown. Using slotted spoon, transfer the bacon to paper towels to drain.
- Pour off all but 3 tablespoons drippings from the pot. Add leeks, garlic, and thyme to the pot and sauté until leeks begin to soften, about 3 minutes. Add corn and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add potatoes, clam juice, and cream; bring to boil. Reduce the heat and simmer until the potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add scallops and bacon; simmer until scallops turn opaque in center, about 5 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Ladle chowder into bowls. Drizzle each bowl of chowder with 1 teaspoon parsley oil and serve.