Shakshuka aka Eggs in Tomatoes
Poached eggs simmered in a spicy tomato sauce with mushrooms, onions, peppers, and garlic. Serve for breakfast, lunch or dinner with rustic bread to sop up the delicious sauce.
- 6 thick slices rustic bread toasted (I use Boule)
- Butter for toast
- 2 T. extra virgin olive oil
- ½ yellow onion diced
- 1 (8 oz.) cont. button mushrooms sliced
- 1 red or green bell pepper seeded & sliced
- 1 yellow bell pepper seeded & sliced
- 4 cloves garlic pressed
- 2 tsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. cumin
- ½ tsp. chili powder
- 1 (28 oz.) can crushed tomatoes
- 6 lg. eggs
- Salt and pepper
- ¼ c. cilantro chopped
- ¼ c. parsley chopped
- ½ c. crumbled feta cheese
- Heat a grill pan or skillet over medium-high heat. Butter the bread on both sides. Grill until toasted on each side; set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a large non-reactive skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions, mushrooms, and bell peppers. Season with salt and pepper. Cook for about 5 minutes or until the onion becomes translucent.
- Add garlic, paprika, cumin and chili powder; cook for an additional minute. Pour in crushed tomatoes and bring to a simmer.
- Using a large metal spoon or ladle, make 6 small wells in the sauce and crack one egg into each well. Cover the pan and simmer 5-8 minutes or until the eggs are done to your liking.
- Remove from heat and garnish with chopped cilantro and parsley. Sprinkle with feta cheese. Spoon sauce over buttered toast and top with an egg.