Sautéed shrimp and veggies rolled in flour tortillas smothered in a rich creamy sauce topped with pepper jack cheese.
Servings: 8 enchiladas
- 1/2 c. chopped red bell pepper
- 1/2 c. chopped green bell pepper
- 1 c. diced onion divided
- 1/4 c. plus 2 T. butter divided
- 1/2 tsp. dried oregano leaves
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 3/4 c. heavy cream
- 1 T. all-purpose flour
- 3 c. shredded pepper jack cheese or Monterey jack cheese, divided
- 1/2 c. sour cream
- 1-1/2 lbs. jumbo shrimp peeled and de-veined
- 2 c. ripe tomatoes seeded and chopped
- 8 (9-inch) flour tortillas
- Fresh chopped cilantro for garnish
- In a medium skillet, sauté red pepper, green pepper, and 1/2 cup onion in 1/4 cup butter until crisp-tender.
- Add oregano, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper, flour, and heavy cream; stir well. Continue cooking for about 3 minutes or until slightly thickened. Add 1-1/2 cups Pepper Jack cheese; stir until melted. Add sour cream, stir to blend; set aside.
- In a large skillet, melt 2 tablespoons butter. Sauté shrimp and 1/2 cup onion until shrimp are pink. Remove shrimp to a cutting board and chop; return to butter and onion. Add chopped tomatoes and 1/2 of the cheese sauce.
- Spoon about 1/3 cup shrimp mixture into each tortilla. Sprinkle Pepper Jack cheese on top of shrimp mixture. Roll up tightly. Arrange seam side down in a 9x13-inch glass baking dish, sprayed with non stick cooking spray.
- Spoon remaining cheese sauce over tortillas and sprinkle with remaining Pepper Jack cheese. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 to 35 minutes. Garnish with fresh chopped cilantro.