Slow Cooker Chicken Curry
Serve over Jasmine rice, topped with toasted coconut and scallions!
- 3 med. new potatoes peeled and chopped
- 1 med. onion sliced
- 3 carrots peeled and sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 T. vegetable oil divided for frying
- 6 (2 to 3 lbs.) boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 (14 oz.) can coconut milk (not low fat)
- 1 c. chicken broth
- 1 T. mild yellow curry powder
- 1 tsp. hot pepper sauce
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 1 (10 oz) pkg. frozen peas thawed
- 1/4 c. golden raisins
- 1/2 c. plain yogurt optional
- Cooked white rice for serving
- 2-3 T. toasted flaked coconut for garnish, if desired
- 2-3 T. Chopped scallions for garnish, if desired
- Spray the inside of your slow cooker with non-stick cooking spray. Place the prepared potatoes, onion, baby carrots and garlic in the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Brown the chicken breasts in two batches, about 3 to 5 minutes on each side. Transfer chicken breasts to a plate to drain.
- In a medium size bowl, whisk together coconut milk, chicken broth, curry powder, hot pepper sauce, salt and pepper, until smooth.
- Place half the browned chicken breasts on top of the vegetables. Cover with half the sauce. Place remaining chicken and sauce in the slow cooker. Place the lid on the slow cooker. Cook covered on HIGH for one hour. Turn heat to LOW and cook for another 4 to 4 1/2 hours. Do not remove the lid. Do not stir the ingredients while they cook.
- During the last 30 minutes, add thawed peas and raisins to slow cooker. During the last 15 minutes, stir in the plain yogurt. Let sit covered for 15 minutes until heated through. Serve over cooked white rice. Garnish with toasted coconut and/or chopped scallions, if desired.