Slow Cooker Pineapple Chicken
Hawaiian-style chicken slow cooked with pineapple, peppers, and onion. It will have you dreaming of summer weather all winter long!
- 8 chicken thighs bone-in, skin-on
- 1 T. butter
- 1 T. olive oil
- 1 c. pineapple juice
- 1/2 c. chicken broth
- 1/4 c. brown sugar packed
- 3 T. low sodium soy sauce
- 2 T. honey
- 2 T. apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp. Sriracha sauce
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
- 1 (8 oz) can pineapple chunks juices reserved
- 1 (8 oz) can crushed pineapple juices reserved
- 2 T. cornstarch
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 1 red onion chopped
- 1/2 tsp. sesame seeds for garnish
- 2 T. fresh parsley leaves chopped for garnish
- In a large skillet, heat butter and olive oil over medium-high heat. Season chicken thighs with salt and pepper. Add chicken to the skillet, skin-side down, and sear both sides until golden brown, about 2-3 minutes per side. Place chicken thighs into a 6-qt slow cooker.
- In a large bowl, whisk together pineapple juice, chicken broth, brown sugar, soy sauce, honey, vinegar, Sriracha, garlic and ginger.
- Pour pineapple juice mixture over chicken. Top with pineapple chunks, crushed pineapple and reserved juices.
- Cover and cook on LOW heat for 5-6 hours or HIGH for 2-3 hours, basting every few hours.
- In a small bowl, whisk together 1/4 cup water and cornstarch. Stir in cornstarch mixture, red bell pepper and onion into the slow cooker. Cover and cook on HIGH heat for an additional 30-60 minutes, or until sauce is thickened.
- Serve immediately over steamed rice, garnished with sesame seeds and parsley, if desired.