Slow Cooker Pork Tacos
Tender shredded pork served in warm tortillas garnished with your favorite taco toppings!
- 3 whole ancho chilies
- 3 whole pasilla chilies
- 4 cloves garlic unpeeled
- 2 to 3 chipotles in adobo sauce
- 1/2 med. white onion roughly chopped
- 3 T. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 T. honey
- 1 T. cider vinegar
- kosher salt
- 2 tsp. dried oregano preferably Mexican
- 3 3/4 c. low sodium chicken broth
- 4 lbs. boneless pork shoulder (untrimmed) cut into chunks
- freshly ground pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Tortillas warmed, for serving
- Your choice of assorted taco toppings for garnish
- Put the ancho and pasilla chilies and the garlic in a bowl. Microwave on high until soft and pliable, 2 to 3 minutes. Stem and seed the chilies; peel the garlic. Transfer the chilies and garlic to a blender. Add the chipotles, onion, 2 tablespoons olive oil, honey, vinegar, 1 tablespoon salt and the oregano to the blender; puree until smooth.
- Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over high heat; add the chili sauce and fry, stirring, until thick and fragrant, about 8 minutes. Pour in the broth and reduce until slightly thickened.
- Season the pork all over with salt and pepper and transfer to a large slow cooker. Add the bay leaves and cinnamon stick, then pour in the sauce. Cover and cook on HIGH until the meat is tender, about 5 hours. Or cook the meat in a large Dutch oven, covered, for 1 hour 45 minutes at 350 degrees; uncover and cook 30 more minutes.
- Discard the bay leaves and cinnamon stick. Shred the pork with 2 forks; season with salt and pepper. Serve the shredded pork in the tortillas, along with toppings.