Slow Cooker White Beans with Smoked Ham
Hearty white bean and smoked ham soup, perfect on a cold, blustery day. Serve with some crusty French bread for dippin'.
- 1 lb. navy or great northern beans soaked overnight and drained
- 1 lg. onion diced
- 3 ribs celery diced
- 1 med. carrot diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 lg. smoked ham hock or ham bone
- 5-6 c. chicken broth or water
- 1 tsp. Italian seasoning
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 c. chopped smoked ham
- sliced green onions for garnish (optional)
- In the basin of a slow cooker, combine the beans, onion, celery, carrot, garlic, bay leaf and ham hock or bone. Pour just enough chicken broth or water over the beans to cover them. Cook on HIGH for 6-7 hours, or LOW for 8-9 hours until beans are soft and beginning to fall apart.
- Thirty minutes before the beans are done cooking, remove the ham hock or bone, strip off any meat, chop and return to the slow cooker. Discard the bone. Stir in Italian seasoning, salt, pepper, and remaining chopped ham. Serve sprinkled with green onions.