Smothered Chicken with Creamed Spinach Sautéed Mushrooms and Bacon
The name says it all! A restaurant-worthy dish made at home, Yum!
- 1 T. butter
- 1 1/2 lbs. boneless skinless chicken breast 4 sm. breasts or 2 lg. breasts sliced in half lengthwise
- Kosher salt
- Lemon pepper seasoning
- 1 T. olive oil
- 1 (10 oz.) pkg. fresh spinach
- 4 cloves garlic pressed
- 2/3 c. half and half
- 2/3 c. shredded low-moisture mozzarella cheese
- 1 T. olive oil
- 4 oz. sliced mushrooms
- 4 slices bacon chopped and cooked crisp
- 4 slices Pepper Jack cheese cut into smaller pieces
- Prep all ingredients before you begin.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Butter the bottom of a 13×9-inch baking dish; set aside.
- CHICKEN: Season chicken on both sides with salt and lemon pepper seasoning. Place chicken breast flat side down, into the prepared baking dish. Bake uncovered for 15-20 minutes.
- CREAMED SPINACH: Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add spinach, cook for 1-2 minutes until the spinach is heated through and begins to wilt. Add garlic and half and half. Bring to boil. Add shredded mozzarella cheese, stirring constantly until the cheese is melted about 30 seconds or 1 minute more. Remove from heat and season with salt if desired.
- SAUTEED MUSHROOMS: In a separate skillet, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium-high heat. Add sliced mushrooms, sauté for 2-3 minutes until the mushrooms begin to caramelize; remove from heat.
- ASSEMBLE: Remove chicken breasts from the oven. Top each breast with creamed spinach, chopped cooked bacon, sauteed mushrooms, and pepper jack cheese.
- Bake uncovered for an additional 15-20 minutes until the chicken is cooked through, no longer pink in the middle, and the juices run clear. Broil for the last 2-3 minutes if desired being careful not to burn the cheese on top.