Spaghetti with Mussels
Steamed Penn Cove Mussels tossed with spaghetti, shallots, red pepper flakes, lemon zest and parsley.
- Coarse salt
- 1 lb. spaghetti
- 6 T. olive oil divided
- 3/4 c. (4 large) shallots diced
- 1 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 3/4 c. dry white wine
- 2 lbs. Penn Cove Mussels scrubbed and beards removed
- 1 c. fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves chopped
- 1/2 lemon zested and juiced
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil, and cook pasta until al dente. Drain pasta, reserving 1 cup pasta water.
- Meanwhile, in another large pot, heat 4 tablespoons oil over medium-high heat; sauté shallots, red-pepper flakes until tender, about 5 minutes. Add wine; cook until liquid is reduced by one-third, about 2 minutes. Add mussels, cover with a tight-fitting lid, and steam until they open, 5 to 6 minutes; discard any that do not open after 6 minutes.
- Add pasta to mussels, tossing until well combined. Add pasta water, and continue to toss and cook over medium-high heat until sauce has reduced and coats pasta. Stir in parsley leaves and lemon zest and juice. Stir in remaining oil, and serve immediately with crusty French Bread.