Spanakopita (Greek Spinach Pie)
"An authentic Greek pie, stuffed with spinach, onion and cheese, neatly folded in phyllo dough then baked until crisp and flaky."
- 3 T. olive oil
- 1 lg. onion chopped
- 1 bunch green onions chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 lbs. fresh spinach chopped OR 2 (10 oz.) pkg. frozen chopped spinach
- 1/2 c. fresh parsley chopped
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- 1/2 c. ricotta cheese
- 1 c. feta cheese crumbled
- phyllo dough
- 1/4 c. olive oil
- Preheat an oven to 375 degrees. Lightly grease baking sheets with olive oil.
- Heat 3 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Sauté onion, green onions and garlic, until soft and lightly browned. Stir in spinach and parsley, and continue to sauté until spinach is limp, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and stain excess liquid from the spinach mixture, set aside to cool.
- In a medium bowl, mix together eggs, ricotta, and feta. Stir in cooled spinach mixture.
- Arrange one sheet of phyllo dough on a clean work surface and brush with olive oil. Cover the remaining phyllo dough with a damp towel. Place a second sheet of phyllo on top and brush with olive oil, then place a third sheet on top. Cut the oiled phyllo lengthwise into four strips.
- Place about 1 tablespoon of the spinach mixture on the bottom of each strip. Take the bottom right corner and fold the dough over the filling to make a triangle. Fold the bottom left corner up to make another triangle. Continue folding until all the dough is folded. Arrange the stuffed triangles, seam-side down, on the prepared baking sheets. Lightly brush the triangle with olive oil. Repeat with the remaining phyllo dough and spinach filling.
- Bake in the preheated oven until golden brown, about 20 minutes. Serve warm with Tzatziki Sauce.