Spicy Shrimp and Chorizo Kebabs
A quick and easy meal, served over our Mexican Rice, Garlic Mashed Potatoes or a crisp Green Salad!
- 2 lg. cloves garlic thickly sliced
- 2 tsp. sea salt
- 2 tsp. caraway seeds
- 2 T. good quality chili powder
- 1/4 c. Extra virgin olive oil
- 2 lbs. (32 large) shrimp shelled and deveined, tails intact
- 8 small (1/2 lb.) chorizo sliced 1/2 inch thick
- Soak 8 wooden skewers in cold water for 30 minutes.
- On a cutting board, using the flat side of a chef's knife, mash the garlic and salt to a coarse paste. Add the caraway seeds and finely chop them. Transfer to a large bowl and stir in the chile powder and olive oil. Add the shrimp and toss to coat.
- Meanwhile, slice the chorizo into 1/2-inch rounds and lightly fry over medium heat for 5 minutes. Drain and pat dry. Let cool slightly.
- Tuck a chorizo slice in the crook of a shrimp and thread onto a skewer; the shrimp should be attached at both ends. Push it to the end of the skewer and repeat with 3 more shrimp and chorizo slices. Using more skewers, repeat with the remaining shrimp and chorizo.
- Grill the kebabs over medium-high heat, turning once or twice, until charred and the shrimp are cooked through, about 5 minutes. Serve immediately.