Spicy Tomato Jam
Serve our sweet and spicy preserves over a brick of cream cheese with crackers. Slather on toasted bagels, biscuits, or scones. Use as the "T" in BLT. Stir into spaghetti sauce. Use in place of ketchup, or as a condiment for beef, chicken or fish!
Servings: 4 half-pints
- 5 lbs. tomatoes chopped
- 3 1/2 c. granulated sugar
- 1/2 c. lime juice
- 2 tsp. fresh grated ginger
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 T. red chili flakes
- Combine all of the ingredients in a large, heavy-bottomed pot over medium-high heat. Allow the mixture to come to a boil, and reduce the heat to maintain a simmer. Let the mixture simmer for 1 1/2 to 2 hours uncovered, stirring occasionally. (You’ll know the jam is ready when the tomatoes have broken down and the mixture is thick and sticky.)
- Funnel the tomato jam into sterilized half-pint jars, leaving 1/4 inch head space. Make sure the rims of the jars are clean, and apply sterilized lids and bands.
- Process the jars in a boiling water canner for 20 minutes. Remove, and place the jars on a towel-covered counter until the lids seal and the jars are cool. Store the jars in a cool, dark place for up to one year. Makes 4-1/2 to 5 half-pints.
- Now enjoy the fruits of your labor!