Strawberries and Cream Stuffed French Toast
Start your Valentine's Day off right with our Strawberries & Cream Stuffed French Toast!!
- 6 (2-in. thick) slices French bread or any other dense white bread
- 4 oz. cream cheese softened
- 4 oz. Mascarpone cheese
- 1 T. confectioner's sugar plus more for garnish
- 6-8 fresh strawberries plus more for garnish
- 1 c. buttermilk
- 3 lg. eggs
- 1 T. granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. freshly grated lemon zest
- 4 T. butter divided
- Laying each slice of bread on its side lengthwise, create a pocket by slicing the middle of each piece, but not slicing all the way through, to create a single, hinged piece (much like a clam shell). DO NOT SCOOP OUT THE BREAD. Do this for all 6 slices until you have created 6 pieces, each with a hinged pocket. Set aside.
- In a medium-sized bowl, beat cream cheese, Mascarpone cheese, and confectioners' sugar until well blended. Set aside. Slice 6-8 strawberries to desired thickness.
- Open each bread pocket, and spread a thick layer of cream cheese mixture into each. Lay 1 row of sliced strawberries atop each layer of cream cheese, slightly overlapping the berries as you go. When you are finished, each pocket of bread should contain a single layer of cream and a single layer of strawberries. Set aside.
- In a medium-sized oval or rectangular dish, whisk together buttermilk, eggs, sugar, nutmeg, cinnamon, salt and lemon zest until blended. Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a 12″ skillet over medium heat.
- Dip (don’t soak) each stuffed piece of bread into the buttermilk and egg batter, taking care to cover both sides. Drain slightly before setting each piece into the skillet.
- Frying no more than 3 pieces at a time, flip each piece over after the bottom reaches a light, golden brown. Continue frying until second side turns a light, golden brown as well. Keep cooked pieces of French toast warm in a 250 degree oven while you continue cooking the remaining pieces of stuffed French toast.
- Place on individual serving plates and dust lightly with confectioners' sugar. Garnish plates with additional whole strawberries, or slice and fan strawberries to garnish. Serve warm.