Recipe by Dee Hutchins-Reynozo - This wonderful recipe is so versatile, that you could substitute just about any fruit for the strawberries.
- 2 lbs. (6 cups) strawberries trimmed and quartered
- 1 c. granulated sugar
- 1/3 c. cornstarch
- 1 tsp. Coarse salt
- 2 T. lemon juice
- TOPPING :
- 1 3/4 c. all-purpose flour
- 1/4 c. granulates sugar
- 1 3/4 tsp. baking powder
- 3/4 Coarse salt
- 6 T. unsalted butter cut into pieces
- 1 c. heavy cream plus more for brushing
- Coarse sugar for sprinkling, optional
- heavy cream or ice cream, for serving, optional
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Place oven racks in middle and bottom. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and place on bottom rack to catch any juices that might bubble over.
- FILLING: In a large bowl, stir together berries, sugar, cornstarch, salt, and lemon juice. Transfer to a 2 1/2-quart baking dish.
- TOPPING: Whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Cut in butter with a pastry blender, until the largest pieces are the size of small peas. Pour in cream, stirring until a soft sticky dough forms. Divide dough evenly into 9 pieces (about 1/4 cup each) and dollop over filling. Brush with cream and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake until biscuits are golden brown and filling is bubbling in the center, about 55-60 minutes. Cool at least 1 hour before serving. Serve warm or room temperature with a scoop of ice cream or drizzled with heavy cream, if desired.