Strawberry Rhubarb Cream Cheese Pie
Recipe by Sharon Schwalm - Best pie ever!
- 1 (9-inch) pastry shell baked and cooled
- 1 (8 oz.) pkg. cream cheese softened
- 2 T. granulated sugar
- 2 T. milk
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 c. fresh strawberry halves divided
- 1 1/2 c. rhubarb (coarsely chopped)
- 3/4 c. water
- 1/2 c. granulated sugar
- 2 T. cornstarch
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat softened cream cheese, 2 tablespoons sugar, milk and vanilla, on medium speed until well combined. Spread the cream cheese mixture into the bottom of the pastry shell.
- In a small bowl, mash 1/2 cup strawberries. Arrange the remaining strawberries halves over the cream cheese mixture.
- In a small saucepan, combine mashed strawberries, rhubarb, 3/4 cup water, and 1/2 cup sugar; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 2 minutes or until the rhubarb is tender. Drain, reserving 1 cup juice. (If necessary, add enough water to equal 1 cup.)
- Bring the juice and cornstarch to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Boil 2 minutes or until the mixture is clear and thickened. Stir in strawberry-rhubarb mixture and a few drops of red food coloring, if desired. Cool slightly. Spoon over strawberries. Refrigerate until chilled and set.