Strawberry Shortcake Ice Cream Cake
When I was a kid, “Strawberry Cap’n Crunch Ice Cream Bars” were my absolute favorite! My brothers and I would chase the ice cream truck just to get them! Now, I can relive my childhood memories with this delicious cake!
- 1 (16.25 oz.) box white cake mix prepared
- 1 1/2 quarts strawberry ice cream softened, not melted
- 1/2 c. diced fresh strawberry
- 1 1/4 oz. freeze dried strawberries (Trader Joes)
- 2 1/2 oz. Nilla wafers
- 1 (16 oz.) tub vanilla icing
- whipped topping for decorating
- fresh strawberries for decorating
- Prepare cake mix as directed on box. Pour batter into two 9-inch round cake pans, bake according to package directions. Remove from the oven and allow cakes to completely cool.
- Trim the tops off each cake, leaving a flat surface. Lay the first cake layer into a 9-inch springform pan.
- In a large bowl, combine the softened strawberry ice cream with fresh cut strawberries.
- Spread the ice cream mixture over the first cake layer. Top with second layer cake, cut side down, gently pressing it into place. Cover and freeze for at least 3-4 hours or overnight.
- Using a food processor, pulse vanilla wafer cookies into crumbs; pour into a bowl. Process the freeze-dried strawberries the same way; add to bowl, stir to combine. Cover tightly, until ready to use.
- Remove the cake from the springform pan; using a sharp knife, cut off excess ice cream, making a smooth edge. Quickly frost the top and sides of cake with vanilla icing.
- Sprinkle the vanilla wafer cookies and freeze-dried strawberries on the top and sides of the cake.
- Loosely cover cake and freeze until ready to serve.
- Just before serving, garnish with whipped topping and fresh strawberries.