Stuffed Green Peppers
"Mom always added 1 lb. cooked ground beef to her Spanish Rice."
- 2 T. vegetable oil
- 2 T. onion chopped
- 1 1/2 c. uncooked white rice
- 2 c. chicken broth
- 1 c. chunky salsa
- 4-6 med. green bell peppers
- Spanish Rice: In a large skillet over medium heat, sauté onion in vegetable oil, cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Add rice into skillet, stirring often. When rice begins to brown, stir in chicken broth and salsa. Reduce heat, cover and simmer 20 minutes or until liquid has been absorbed.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare peppers by slicing off the stem end of the peppers, saving the tops. Using a spoon, carefully remove the core and seeds.
- Fill the peppers with Spanish rice, gently pressing down with the back of a spoon. Put the tops on the peppers and arrange them standing up in a 9x9 inch baking dish. Pour 1 cup of water into the baking dish to create steam.
- Cover with foil and bake for 45 minutes. Uncover and cook another 15 minutes.
- Cook's Note: You can add 1 lb. lean ground beef to oil and onion, cook until no longer pink, if desired.