Tacos Al Pastor
If you like authentic Mexican tacos, then you’re going to love our sweet and spicy street tacos al pastor! Marinated pork shoulder roasted on a vertical spit (skewer) served on warm corn tortillas with grilled pineapple, onions, avocado, cilantro, salsa verde, and lime.
- 1 (5 lb.) boneless pork shoulder roast
- 3 T. achiote paste
- 2 T. guajillo chili powder
- 1 T. garlic powder
- 1 T. dried oregano
- 1 T. cumin
- 1 T. salt
- 1 T. black pepper
- 3/4 c. white distilled vinegar
- 1 c. pineapple juice
- 1 whole pineapple skin removed & cut into 1-inch rounds
- 12 sm. corn tortillas
- 1 sm. white onion diced
- 1 avocado diced or sliced
- 1 c. fresh cilantro chopped
- 1 c. salsa verde
- 2 limes cut into wedges
- Thinly slice the pork shoulder into 1/4-inch slices and transfer to a large bowl.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together achiote paste, chili powder, garlic powder, oregano, cumin, salt, black pepper, vinegar, and pineapple juice until smooth with no lumps. Pour the marinade over the pork slices making sure to coat all sides. Cover the bowl and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or preferably overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil and place a vertical spit in the middle; set aside.
- Lay the pineapple on its side. Using a sharp knife, cut off the top and bottom. Stand the pineapple up, slice off the skin by running the knife from top to bottom, following the shape of the pineapple. Lay it on the side again and slice into 1-inch rounds.
- Place 2 rounds of pineapple on the vertical spit. Remove the pork from the refrigerator and place the slices through the skewer layering one after the other until there is a 1 to 2-inch gap at the top. Push another 2 slices of pineapple over the top.
- Bake for 1 1/2 hours, until the pork is slightly charred on the outside and deep red in color. Rest the meat for 10 minutes, then carve off thin slices of pork and pineapple.
- To assemble the tacos: Place thinly sliced pieces of pork on warmed corn tortillas followed by a few pieces of pineapple, diced onions and avocado, a pinch cilantro, and a spoonful of salsa verde. Serve with lime wedges, Enjoy!