Teriyaki Chicken Casserole
Your favorite takeout baked into a delicious casserole!
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/3 c. soy sauce
- 1/2 c. water
- 1/3 c. brown sugar
- 1 T. honey
- 1 tsp. grated ginger
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 tsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 T. cornstarch
- 2 T. cold water
- 3 c. cooked brown or white rice
- 20 to 24 oz. stir-fry or mixed vegetables fresh or frozen
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9x13-inch casserole dish with non-stick spray; set aside.
- In a small saucepan, bring soy sauce, 1/2 cup water, brown sugar, honey, ginger, garlic and olive oil to a boil over medium heat; cook for 1 minute.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, quickly stir cornstarch and 2 tablespoons cold water together to make a slurry.
- Pour the slurry mixture into the teriyaki sauce, whisking constantly until sauce begins to thicken about 30-60 seconds. Remove saucepan from the heat.
- Place the chicken breasts in the prepared casserole dish. Pour 1 cup of teriyaki sauce on and around chicken. Place dish in the oven and bake, uncovered, for 30-35 minutes.
- Cook or steam mixed vegetables according to package directions.
- When chicken is done, remove the baking dish from the oven and carefully use two forks to shred chicken into bite sized pieces.
- Add cooked rice and mixed vegetables to the casserole dish with the shredded chicken. Add another 2-3 tablespoons of teriyaki sauce and gently toss everything together to coat.
- Return dish to the oven and bake for another 10-15 minutes. Remove from oven.
- Drizzle each serving with remaining teriyaki sauce, if desired. Serve immediately.
Cook's Note: I used one (12 oz.) pkg. of mixed veggies & one (10 oz.) pkg. peppers and onions (pictured above).