Cheese filled tortellini, simmered in a hearty Bolognese sauce. True Italian comfort food!
- 1 lg. onion chopped
- 1 stalk celery chopped
- 2 med. carrots chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 lb. lean ground beef chuck
- 1/2 lb. Italian sausage
- 1 c. half and half or whole milk
- 1 c. chicken broth
- 1 T. white wine vinegar
- 1 (28 oz.) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (6 oz.) can tomato paste
- 2 tsp. Dried Italian seasoning crushed
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 (24 oz.) pkg. cheese tortellini fresh or frozen
- Freshly grated Parmesan Romano or Asiago cheese for serving
- In a 12-inch skillet heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium-high heat. Add onions, celery, carrots, and garlic, sauté until tender, about 8 minutes.
- Add ground beef and Italian sausage, stirring frequently and breaking up any large lumps, cook until meat is no longer pink, about 10 minutes. Drain off fat.
- Add half & half. Bring to boiling. Reduce heat, simmer, uncovered, 5 minutes or until half & half is nearly evaporated.
- Stir in chicken broth and white wine vinegar. Return to boiling. Reduce heat, simmer uncovered, 15 minutes or until liquid is nearly evaporated.
- Stir in crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, Italian seasoning, pepper and salt. Bring to boiling. Reduce heat, simmer un-covered, 5 minutes or until thickened.
- Meanwhile, cook the cheese tortellini according to package directions; drain. Pour pasta into Bolognese sauce; stir to combine. Serve in bowls, sprinkled with grated cheese and fresh chopped oregano.