These cute cupcakes are perfect for a summer BBQ, picnic, or birthday party!
- WATERMELON CUPCAKES:
- 1 (16.25 oz.) box white cake mix
- 1 (3 oz.) watermelon Jell-O
- 3/4 c. milk
- 1/2 c. butter melted
- 4 lg. eggs
- 1/2 c. watermelon puree
- red food coloring
- 3/4 c. mini semi-sweet chocolate chips + more for decorating
- WATERMELON BUTTERCREAM FROSTING:
- 1 c. butter room temperature
- 1 (0.15 oz.) packet watermelon Kool-aid
- 1 (16 oz.) box confectioner's sugar
- 3 T. milk
- green food coloring
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two 12 cup muffin tins with paper liners; set aside.
- WATERMELON CUPCAKES: In a large bowl, combine cake mix and Jell-O. Add milk and melted butter; using an electric hand mixer, beat on medium speed.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add watermelon puree and beat until combined. Add red food coloring a little at a time, until you reach desired color. Fold in chocolate chips until evenly distributed.
- Using an ice cream scoop, fill liners 2/3 full and bake according to box directions for cupcakes about 14-18 minutes. If a toothpick inserted into the middle of a cupcake comes out clean they’re done. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- WATERMELON BUTTERCREAM FROSTING: In a large bowl, beat softened butter and watermelon Kool-aid, until light and fluffy.
- Gradually add confectioners’ sugar a cup at a time. Add 1 tablespoon milk after each addition of sugar beginning and ending with sugar.
- Add green food coloring a little at a time, until you reach desired color. Transfer to piping bag fitted with a 1M tip and frost each cupcake.
- Sprinkle with mini chocolate chips if desired.
I purchased the cupcake wrappers on Etsy: Watermelon Cupcake Wrappers