Zoodle (Zucchini) Pie
A savory custard pie filled with zucchini noodles, grape tomatoes, onion, cheese, and Italian seasonings. Serve warm or cold for breakfast, lunch or dinner!
- 3 lbs. zucchini about 3 zucchini
- 1 1/2 tsp. kosher salt divided
- 1 1/2 tsp. olive oil
- 1 pint grape tomatoes
- 2 T. chopped oregano
- 5 cloves garlic pressed
- 7 lg. eggs
- 2/3 c. milk
- 1/4 c. all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 2/3 c. shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 c. grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- Using a spiralizer cut zucchini into noodles. Place zucchini noodles in a colander in the sink. Toss zucchini with 1 teaspoon salt. Let stand 20 minutes.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add tomatoes, oregano, and garlic; cook, stirring often, until tomatoes begin to wilt about 3 to 4 minutes. Remove mixture from pan; cool slightly.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Place half of zucchini noodles on a clean kitchen towel. Wrap towel around zucchini; twist and squeeze until all liquid is extracted. Repeat with remaining zucchini. Cut zucchini into manageable lengths.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs until lightly beaten. Whisk in milk, flour, pepper, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt. Add tomato mixture, cheeses, and zucchini; toss to combine.
- Wrap bottom plate of a 9-inch springform pan tightly with foil. Assemble pan; coat bottom and sides with cooking spray.
- Pour egg mixture into pan. Bake in preheated oven until the middle is set about 50-60 minutes.
- Cool 10 to 15 minutes. Remove the sides from the pan; using a serrated knife cut the pie into 6 wedges.