All American Cherry Pie! My husband's favorite pie, he requests it every year for his birthday!!
- 1 recipe All-Butter Pie Crust (Makes two 9-inch pie crusts)
- PIE FILLING :
- 2 lbs. sour cherries pitted
- 1 1/8 c. granulated sugar plus more for sprinkling
- 3 1/2 T. cornstarch
- 1 T. butter
- 1/4 tsp. almond extract
- 1 egg white lightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a saucepan, combine cherries, sugar and cornstarch, let sit for about 10 minutes. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Lower the heat and simmer for 5 minutes or until the juices thicken and become translucent. Remove from heat and stir in the butter and almond extract.
- Pour filling into an un-baked 9-inch pie shell. Cover with top crust, cut away excess dough, seal and flute edges. Make several small slits in the top to allow steam to escape OR make a lattice top. Lightly brush with egg white and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake pie for 40 to 50 minutes, or until the filling is bubbly and the crust is golden brown. You may need to cover with foil, if the crust browns too quickly. Cool pie on a wire rack.
Cook’s Note: Use fresh sour cherries or canned. Do not use canned cherry pie filling. All Butter Pie Crust Recipe: https://www.cookingmamas.com/all-butter-pie-crust/
[…] below. Sweet Potato Pie – https://www.cookingmamas.com/sweet-potato-pie/ Cherry Pie – https://www.cookingmamas.com/cherry-pie/ Southern Pecan Pie – https://www.cookingmamas.com/southern-pecan-pie/ Blue Ribbon Apple Pie […]