Chicken Tortilla Soup
Bring a bit of the Southwest to your dining table. Our chicken tortilla soup is sure to be a family favorite!
- 1 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 T. olive oil
- 1 c. diced onion
- 1/4 c. green bell pepper
- 1/4 c. red bell pepper
- 1/4 c. yellow bell pepper
- 1 lg. jalapeño seeded and diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 c. cooked chicken breast shredded
- 1 (10 oz.) can Rotel diced tomatoes & green chilies un-drained
- 1 (32 oz.) carton low sodium chicken stock
- 4 c. hot water
- 3 T. tomato paste
- 2 (15 oz.) cans black beans rinsed & drained
- 3 T. cornmeal
- sour cream
- Pico de Gallo
- Diced red onions
- avocado sliced or diced
- Shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- cilantro roughly chopped
- Corn tortilla strips
- Lime wedges for serving
- In a small bowl, combine cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, and salt; set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Sauté onions, bell peppers, jalapeno pepper, and minced garlic until tender, about 2-3 minutes. Stir in spice mix. Add shredded chicken, stir to combine.
- Pour in Rotel tomatoes, chicken stock, water, tomato paste, and black beans. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer for 30 minutes, uncovered.
- Mix cornmeal with a small amount of water. Pour into the soup; simmer for an additional 30 minutes. Check seasonings, adding more if needed.
- Ladle soup into bowls, garnish with a dollop of sour cream, Pico de Gallo or diced red onion, avocado, shredded Monterey Jack cheese, chopped cilantro, tortilla strips and lime wedges. The garnishes really take this soup over the top, Enjoy!