Classic Caesar Salad
Recipe by my brother Ted Hutchins - Romaine lettuce tossed with homemade creamy Caesar salad dressing topped with croutons, Parmesan cheese, and fresh black pepper, Enjoy!
- 1 clove garlic halved
- 2 sm. eggs or ½ c. pasteurized egg product
- 2 T. freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 6 T. Extra virgin olive oil
- 2 T. minced anchovies or to taste
- 1 dash Worcestershire sauce
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 lg. head romaine lettuce torn into bite size pieces
- 1/2 to 1 c. freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Rub the inside of your salad bowl with the garlic clove and then discard it.
- Bring a small pot of water to a boil. With a pin or a needle, pierce a tiny hole in the broad end of each egg and boil them for 60 to 90 seconds, they will just begin to firm up. Crack them into the salad bowl, being sure to scoop out the white that clings to the shell.
- Beat the eggs with a whisk or fork, gradually adding the lemon juice and then the olive oil, beating all the while.
- Stir in the anchovies and the Worcestershire. Taste and add salt if needed and plenty of pepper.
- Toss in lettuce, top with the croutons and Parmesan cheese. Serve immediately.
Top Caesar Salad with slices of grilled chicken, shrimp or scallops to make it a complete meal. Recipe link: Grilled Chicken