Homemade Frango Mint Chocolates
Recipe by our grandma Dorothy Nyhuise - A deliciously smooth and creamy mint chocolate truffle made famous by the Fredrick & Nelson department stores here in the Pacific Northwest, Enjoy!
Servings: 64 pieces
- 1 (12 oz.) pkg. semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 1/2 c. margarine or butter
- 1 1/2 c. confectioner's sugar sifted
- 2 lg. eggs
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. peppermint extract
- Melt chocolate chips in a double boiler over simmering water, stirring occasionally as the chocolate melts.
- In a large bowl, cream together margarine, sugar and eggs. Add melted chocolate, beating until the mixture is smooth, then add vanilla and peppermint.
- Drop by the spoonful onto waxed or parchment paper lined baking sheets OR pour into a greased and parchment paper lined 8-inch square pan. Cool in the refrigerator until set.
- To slice into small squares, use a warm damp cloth to clean the knife in between slices for a cleaner cut. Store the mints in and air tight container in the refrigerator or freezer.