My favorite Sugar Cookies
Perfect cookies every time! This is the only sugar cookie recipe you'll ever need!
Servings: 3 dozen
- 3 c. all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 1 c. unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 c. granulated sugar
- 1 lg. egg
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract or almond extract
- Royal Icing see below
- Sprinkles optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line baking sheets with parchment paper; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt; set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer using the paddle attachment, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes. Add the egg and vanilla or almond extract; beat for another minute. With the mixer on low, gradually add the flour mixture; beat until all of the flour is incorporated. The mixture will look crumbly at first; keep blending until the dough begins to pull away from the sides of the bowl.
- Remove half of the dough from the bowl and form into a smooth ball. Roll the dough ball out onto a lightly floured work surface to 1/4-inch thick (do not make them thinner, you want the cookies to be on the thick side) and cut into desired shapes with cookie cutters. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Bake cookies for 8-10 minutes (depending on the size and thickness of your cookies) or until the edges are slightly golden and the centers are just barely set.
- Cool cookies on baking sheet for a minute or two, and then carefully remove them to a wire rack to cool completely before decorating. Yields: 3-4 dozen cookies depending the on the size of your cookie cutters.
- How cute are these Christmas Sugar Cookies that the kids decorated with Royal Icing and sprinkles!?!
Recipe Link for Royal Icing