Reminds me of my childhood in Yakima, WA. In the summer we would pick peaches right off the tree, then grandma would make us this homemade peach pie! 🙂
- 1 recipe Papa's Pie Crust
- 6-8 (2 1/2 lbs.) peaches peeled, pitted and sliced ½ inch thick
- 1 c. plus 1 T. sugar divided
- 3-5 T. potato starch
- 1 T. fresh lemon juice
- 1 pinch ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 T. water
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- In a large bowl, toss together peaches, 1 cup sugar, 3 tablespoons of the potato starch, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Add 2 more tablespoons of potato starch if peaches are really juicy.
- Spread peaches in an un-baked pie crust. Place top crust over fruit, seal and flute edges. Make several small slits in the top to allow steam to escape or make a lattice top. Lightly brush top with water and sprinkle with remaining 1 tablespoon sugar.
- Place pie on a heated baking sheet and bake until top crust is golden, about 25 minutes. Rotate baking sheet and reduce oven to 375 degrees and continue to bake until the juices are bubbling and the crust is a deep golden brown, about 25 to 30 minutes longer. Transfer to a cooling rack and cool to room temperature before serving.
- Cook’s Note: To easily remove peach skins, lower peaches into a pot of boiling water and simmer until the skins loosen, 30 to 60 seconds. Transfer peaches immediately into an ice water bath and let cool about 1 minute. Use a paring knife, remove peach skins.
- Papa's Pie Crust Recipe: http://www.cookingmamas.com/papas-pie-crust.html